Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Drink Dinner; Eat for Free

The first time I went to Crocodile Lounge in the East Village was because I heard they had a Skee-Ball machine. I had just come from a big dinner and was ready to work it all off tossing a few chart-topping rounds of the old Skee-Ball. I ordered a beer and the bartender handed me a nondescript red ticket. "Take this to the back for a free pizza," she said. "You get a free pizza with every drink." Um, what?? I was filled with a sense of amazement (this is Manhattan, food isn't just handed out for free) and incredible disappointment (I was so full pizza didn't even sound appealing). I pushed through the crowd toward the mini game room in the back and found that some NYU freshmen had started a drunken Skee-ball tournament that mostly consisted of taking photos of each other to put on facebook.

Thus began my quest to find other bars that offer free pizza. I returned to Crocodile Lounge during happy hour and tried the surprisingly large pie (free with my $6 pint of Stella) which was basic but better than some of the greasy slices I've paid in this city. Although it seems like the dough gets tough from sitting out, the pizza is pulled fresh from the oven and served hot and gooey. I lost a few rounds of Skee-Ball in the then vacant game room and called it a night. Next stop was Alligator Lounge in Williamsburg. Something looked familiar. The bar felt more dive-y but the pizza was identical and the decor was just as tasteless. Alligator...Crocodile...it turns out they have the same owners. And they have another joint, Capone's, also in Williamsburg. Make the trek to Williamsburg if you'd rather gawk at hipsters than 18-year-old NYU kids. I'll be heading there next time.

Bottom Line: These bars serve up a free pizza with every drink

Crocodile Lounge
325 E. 14th Street (at 1st Ave.)
212.477.7747

Alligator Lounge
600 Metropolitan Avenue (at Lorimer)
718.599.4440

Capone's
221 N. 9th Street (at Roebling St.)
718.599.4044

0 comments: