Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hummus Manifesto

I am a hummus snob. Growing up outside of Detroit, I took for granted the creamy simple hummus at the Lebanese restaurants around town. I never liked grocery store hummus but the hummus I found at my college cafeteria brought the dish to new lows. It looked like concrete paste one might use to lay bricks.

So I took to making the lemony, garlicky stuff myself. This hummus blows the store-brought variety out of the water because fresh garlic gives it a spicy taste that can't be duplicated through mass-production. I found that not only is making hummus cheaper than buying it pre-blended, it only takes five minutes. Really.

Bottom Line: I am a hummus snob and so can you

Recipe for the best hummus ever
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons lemon juice (ideally fresh but from concentrate works just fine)
1/3rd cup tahini
water, as needed Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. If you're using a mini food processor (like I did), reserve 1/2 of the can of chickpeas and add them back in after the rest of the ingredients have been blended.
Process until smooth, adding water as needed.

0 comments: