Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dr. Laptop

Normally I would not be comfortable shipping my laptop to get it repaired. But, after months of maddening trouble with a loose power jack (this is when the connection to the a/c adapter is loose and requires constant wiggling to get the computer to run), I was desperate. Then I found www.PowerJackRepair.net...in Wheeling, IL.

My first refuge for repair was the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Mistake. They told me the only way to fix my problem was to replace the motherboard and that it would be less expensive to just buy a new laptop. Distraught, I searched online and found that the part was inexpensive and the repair, although it involved prying the computer open and soldering on a new part, was a common repair. While I was searching online I saw an ad for a repair shop in Wheeling, IL that offers power jack repairs for $125, including labor, parts and return shipping. Fittingly, the website is www.PowerJackRepair.net. The computer repair centers I contacted in NYC started repairs at $175 plus exorbitant fees for replacing the part. When I called them and asked if they would discount their pricing to match the quote on www.PowerJackRepair.net, they laughed at me. So I wrapped my laptop tight in bubble wrap and shipped it to Illinois.

Now, www.PowerJackRepair.net isn't exactly the prime spot for customer service. My laptop was shipped back to me in the original packaging without a receipt or record of service. But it arrived completely fixed and in record time. The laptop arrived in Wheeling on Wednesday morning and I received an email from DHL showing that it was sent out that same evening. It arrived to me Friday morning. I would really recommend this option to save a few dollars over expensive NYC computer repair shops.

Bottom Line: Sometimes NYC is a rip off. Wheeling, IL is apparently cheaper for computer repairs.
www.PowerJackRepair.net

0 comments: