Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Pearl River Post

I've been hesitant to write about Pearl River Mart.

I've been hesitant because I'm 99% sure that you've either:

a) already been there and love it as much as I do.
b) already been there and nearly love it as much as I do.
c) have no interest in going because you have no interest in Chinatown crap (if this is you, then I'm sorry; we can't be friends).

If you fall into category a or b, then you probably don't need to read the following love letter to Pearl River Mart. If you fall into category c, then you probably don't need to be reading this blog.
If, however, you fall into that 1% of cheap New Yorkers who haven't yet discovered Pearl River (it's been around since 1971, and its wares are often featured in magazines), then keep reading. This post is for you.

Why is Pearl River so dear to my heart? What's so amazing about an enormous store that sells cheap trinkets and you-could-buy-them-anywhere-on-Canal-Street slippers?

Pearl River, my friends, is a three-story wonderland--let me repeat: wonderland--of useful goods. You're a party-thrower? Get yourself to Pearl River for some paper lanterns (about $20 for a string of lights) and some new dishes (starting at $4). Looking for a fun birthday gift? Check out Pearl River's funky thermoses ($12), retro-looking luggage tags ($3.25), or crazy alarm clock section (clocks start at $10). Wrap it all up in origami paper or takeout cartons ($1), then buy yourself some gummy candy ($2.25 for a bag) and tell the people at Pearl River how much you like their store (I did this and got a free mug).

I could go on more. I could tell you about Pearl River's stationery section, its cool tote bags, teapots, loose tea, soaps, window blinds, buddha statuettes, robes, slippers, baskets, hampers, stools, candles, and gongs, but really, the only way to experience the magic of Pearl River is to go there yourself.

Bottom Line: Good. Cheap. Fun.
This place is a gift giver's dream come true.


Pearl River Mart
477 Broadway
212.431.4770

0 comments: